I'm gearing up for a very scary meeting with my oncologist.
I underwent a PET CT scan yesterday. Tomorrow, we receive the results and there's a possibility that my future depends on the outcome - my treatment certainly does.
The last PET scan told us that the tumors were spreading and growing quickly. I immediately began chemotherapy treatment with Carboplatin and Gemzar. After one treatment, my blood counts plummeted and I was unable to continue treatment for a number of weeks. I received a lowered and delayed dose of Gemzar and my blood counts were, once again, depleted. My oncology team decided to switch me from Carboplatin to Cisplatin, in hope that my blood would respond better. I've never been so sick in my life! Three days after treatment with combined Cisplatin and Gemzar, I basically got into bed and couldn't do much for an entire week. My blood counts reached an all time low and I haven't had chemotherapy since... nearly a month. The good news is, my CA125 cancer markers went down significantly after only one dose of chemotherapy. We are optimistic.
I feel like I've arrived at a crossroad. Which direction will this cancer Journey take me next? We received word from Champions Oncology that my mice, at Johns Hopkins, are living it up, healthy and cancer-free. Great news for the mice; terrible news for me. Based on the results of the PET CT, we'll know if and how much those few chemo treatments had an impact on the cancerous tumors. We'll find out if there's been progression of disease or triumph over it. We'll also find out if there are tumors that can be accessed and removed. If tissue can be safely removed, I'll have a second chance at receiving designer chemotherapy. My tumor/s would be grafted (again) into mice and flown to Johns Hopkins for further research and testing.
Tomorrow could be a very big day. I'm preparing myself for feeling some powerful emotions.
How about this hat? Should I wear it to my appointment tomorrow?