Translate into any language

Friday, April 27, 2007

Mother's Love Goes Beyond Her Eggs

I have been blessed. I have experienced the miracle of becoming pregnant 4 times. I have witnessed the miracle of birth 3 times.

I fell in love with each of my children instantly and like many mothers, I would sacrifice myself for each of them – if needed. I would give my life to save my child and I would certainly give them an organ; some liver, a kidney… if G’d forbid, that was what was needed to save my child’s life I would give it to them!

So what is the big deal about donating some eggs to a daughter? That’s what 36-year-old Melanie Boivin of Montreal Canada is doing for her 7-year old daughter, who was born sterile due to a genetic disorder called, Turner Syndrome. Her eggs will be frozen for 20 to 25 years and will be thawed, fertilized, and implanted if her daughter chooses to become pregnant using her mother's eggs.

The media and the critics focus on the fact that Melanie’s daughter will be giving birth to her biological half-sibling and Boivin will become a mother and a grandmother. Why is that such an “ethical” debate? I think this is a lovely story showing the boundless love of a mother for her daughter. No doubt Ms. Boivin has endured painful and invasive examinations and procedures and would be there to do it again and more if it meant providing her daughter with the great gift of motherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment