Translate into any language

Monday, April 30, 2007

Family Of Five… and Cat Makes Six?

I love animals. Growing up, we always had at least one cat and one dog. There was usually a pair of hamsters named Peter and Gonzalo, plus or minus a gerbil, a parrot… later there were sheep, goats, chickens, ducks, and rabbits… fish…. My parents still have their dog and cat and a pair of exotic birds. The days of the hamsters are long gone!

I have wanted a pet for a while. I think it’s a great experience for children. Of course children learn responsibility; feeding, cleaning and caring yet most importantly the feelings that animals invoke in us – especially compassion. I would like for my own children to learn how to experience what someone else might be feeling… animals help us do this and we sure could use a lot more of that emotion; compassion in our world!

My Dr. Doolittle eldest daughter has been asking for a pet for months and months. A couple of yeas ago we adopted a baby guinea pig named, Polly-Pocket, that she cared for so attentively until sadly, it died suddenly in the night. She was devastated; a lesson in death.

Recently a young man posted on our community e mail list that he was looking for a home for his very friendly, spayed and vaccinated, white, female 3-year old cat. I inquired… and yesterday afternoon, we became acquainted with, ???-The-big-white-cat! My 3 were overcome with excitement – they chased and cornered The Cat, who was very accommodating! She did not hiss or bite or even flinch! She calmly allowed all three kids and a friend to pet her and attempt lifting her. After a time of this treatment I encouraged all 4 children to step back and let The Cat get to know us.

We have moved onto the great name debate. So far the top nominated names are the highly original: Polly-Pocket (again), Snowball, Snow White, and Berele… I’ll keep you updated.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to mention that I have really
    loved browsing your blog posts. In any case I'll be subscribing in your rss feed and I'm hoping you write once more very
    soon!

    Also visit my web site No Adware

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day! This post couldn't be written any better!
    Reading through this post reminds me of my old room mate!
    He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this write-up to him.
    Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!


    Here is my site no adware

    ReplyDelete